In 1885 construction of the Insane Asylum started, and the building was complete in November 1886. The first patients were accepted in 1888. The name of the institution was changed to Norfolk State Hospital in 1920. In 1962, the name was changed again to Norfolk Regional Center. The Norfolk Regional Center is now a 120-bed institution providing treatment to sex offenders.